The Chancel Windows
These four windows are among many in the church designed and produced by George L. Burns* of Buffalo, New York and are original to 1868; they were donated by the Sunday School. They are notable for their rich color and hand painted detail. Each window depicts an Evangelist: Matthew, with an angel, Mark with a lion, Luke with an ox, and John with an eagle. These windows are in memory of the parish’s first rector, John O’Brien. The window depicting Saint Mark is partially hidden by the carved reredos behind the altar, which was erected in 1930, a gift of the Sterling family.
George L. Burns (1820-1873) was one of the first glass stainers in Buffalo, New York, getting his start with William G. Miller of the Buffalo Stained Glass Works. Burns began appearing in the city directories as early as 1844 as a painter, advertising glass staining and enameling. He started his own firm, the Glass and Enameller Studio in 1851. He marketed heavily in the Great Lakes region and in Episcopal publications in the late 1850s. With the start of the Civil War in 1861 he focused primarily on Episcopal publications and New York State. He suffered a stroke in 1870, essentially ending his career, he died in 1873. The windows in Trinity Episcopal are one of his last commissions, and are among the last examples of his work still in existence.”